1) Did you always want to be an author?
No. It didn’t occur to me for a long time. I wanted to be an actress, a synchronised swimmer or a mermaid.
But I've always thought up stories. When I was younger my sister and I would tell each other exciting tales and create books out of paper, staples and felt tips. We'd add front covers and blurbs, and feel like real authors. But I didn’t ever think this is something I could do. After a while I stopped writing stories but they were always at the back of my mind. Then when my youngest was born, the ideas started building with a vengeance, scrambling to get out of me, so I started write them down again. And I began to think – this would be my perfect job.
2) Where did you get your inspiration for Cat Burglar?
I had a dream or you might even call it a nightmare. I dreamt that a bracelet sank into my skin and I woke up feeling clammy and queasy, and couldn't take my eyes off my wrist. But then I started thinking... A girl named Scar popped into my brain and the seeds of The Scarlet Files: Cat Burglar were sown.
3) If you weren’t a writer, what would you be?
I would love to work with wild animals. It would be amazing to work with them in their natural habitat. I would love to work in a rainforest and help save a tiger. Well… I think I’d like to. I’m not sure I’m that brave…
4) What advice would you give to someone who wants to be a writer?
There are three things I would say.
- Never give up.
- Read lots.
- Write what you want to write. Don’t try to write for trends or what you think someone else wants to read. You need to be true to yourself otherwise your readers can tell if you’re being fake.
5) What was your favourite book as a child?
I loved The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe. I spent so many weeks of my childhood searching wardrobes hoping to feel snow. I also adored Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I think that’s because I have a ridiculously sweet tooth.
6) When you're not writing, what do you like to do?
I love going on adventures with my family, especially travelling to different parts of the world. Also I love to read, tromp through the woods with my dog, eat jellybeans and dance to Elvis.